Sunday, August 10, 2008

House of Light

Mahler

The Gift

I wanted to thank the mockingbird for the vigor of his song.
Every day he sang from the rim of the field,
while I picked blueberries or just idled in the sun.
Every day he came fluttering by to show me, and why not,
the white blossoms in his wings.
So one day I went there with a machine,
and played some songs of Mahler.
The mockingbird stopped singing,
he came close and seemed to listen.
Now when I go to the field,
a little Mahler spills through the sputters of his song.
How happy I am, lounging in the light,
listening as the music floats by!
And I give thanks also for my mind,
that thought of giving a gift.
And mostly I'm grateful that I take this world so seriously.

- Mary Oliver

1 comment:

Laurel Sabera said...

i am so completely and utterly in love with this poem. thank you for sharing.