Wednesday, December 19, 2007

light blasted window panes

slowly but surely i've come to the realization that...i miss school. as much as one might feel constrained by it at times, when you leave it, you realize how incredibly freeing it was to be in a place where you just learn - and you are given the opportunity to read and to write whenever you want. i was sifting through the ny times today and i came across this article: (link)

i then went to the free online video lectures of MIT to partly see 1) if they were actually free 2) if they were interesting and 3) to slake my thirst for systematically constructed processes of imparted knowledge. i got to the video lectures, ecstatic, but then realized you needed RealPlayer to run the videos - a program i do not have on my work computer.

not to be discourage, i think went on a rapid search to find similar sources of knowledge that did not require this application, and came across this: (cmu)

carnegie mellon is my new best friend.

i've also started reading a new book: "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Foer. it is witty and sharp and full of emotion - and i'm only on page 13.

1 comment:

Laurel Sabera said...

I miss school too. But then- maybe I just miss the disciplined, "Write this paper or be severely injured" approach to life that I somehow need. P.S. I loooove that book. Pg. 14 is even better