Thursday evening - I was joined by Nabil, Ruha, the Lincolns, Halls, and O'Tooles at the wedding reception of our newest worker in OIA, Lee. We all arrived at a restaurant on Ben Gurion just on time, a bit too early actually...they were still setting up inside. But we walked in greeted the other guests, mostly family, that were there as best we could with our limited Hebrew. Many of them did know English. But we took over a table and then enjoyed a wonderful night of delicious food, apparently funny stories (we couldn't understand them :) ), and lots and lots of dancing. We had to be dignified to a certain extent, and so Theresa and I danced a little salsa but not too much. But it was truly lovely, and they even hoisted the bride and groom up on chairs and danced around.
Friday - what a busy, busy day. First I had work till noon, and then two play practices one right after the other. The first was very high energy and wore me out for the rest of the day. The second was just sitting, reading lines, observing. All that took me till about 3:30ish, when at that time was to go meet Tim Alford to practice the song we were going to perform together the next day for Gigi and Anis's wedding. We played for about an hour or so, hour and a half. After that I went home to practice with Kathi...we would also be playing together for the wedding. By this time, I was finding it so hard to move. I then went straight to my bed and fell asleep.
I woke up around 8ish realizing that I had to go meet someone to prepare a fruit salad for the wedding - it would need to feed about 40 people. So I taxied it over, and chopped and mixed for 2 hours. Unfortunately, they didn't have room in their fridge for everything so we had to carry a bunch over to another friends house to store it in their fridge. This is all about 11pm. We walk into this other house and there is Gigi and Anis and all their families and friends for a relaxing night together. I hung out there for a bit, but then slowly got roped into helping out some more...mostly with carrying stuff. I didn't get home till a little have 12 I think, and didn't fall asleep till around 1.
Saturday - I woke up early...mostly likely because I was nervous about performing...I always get nervous when I have to do solos. But I stayed in bed until I couldn't anymore, and just had to get up and get some breakfast. I then went over to Kathi's for a bit to practice a little more. And then went back up to bed, and found my self walking up my walls - it felt so good on my back and I just couldn't stop yawning.
Around 2ish I started to get ready and Kathi and I grabbed a taxi to make it up there around 3. I told the driver "39 Harof" please...so he takes us to 39 Harub. The "f" and "b" sound slightly similar. I'd never been to the house the wedding was at, but I knew this was not where it was. I quickly called Tim and go the correct pronunciation "Harofeh". "AH! Harofeh! Why didn't you say so" and then for the next 15 minutes Kahti and I got a lecture on the difference between the two words courtesy of our Israeli friend. So we got to the house, mingled around for a bit, and I waited for Tim to get there so we could practice one more time. Found an empty bathroom to squeeze into, played it through once and bob's your uncle. The wedding was lovely. About 35-40 people all packed together in a living room, waiting expectantly for our friends (Gigi and Anis) to come out and take their seats in front of us. Then finally they walked in to two little girls playing "Hey Jude" quite beautifully on the violin. The opening prayer was read, and then Tim and I were up. Though I was quite nervous and sort stuck out as I stood up and sort of towered over everyone. I think it went well, people said it did.
The rest of the programme was filled with wonderful readings and a few more songs and chants. Gigi and Anis decided to say their vows in the middle of the programme which was unique - the programme lasted about 20 minutes. We then made our way outside, while the dinner was being prepared, to take pictures against a beautiful sunset. The food was delicious, the company was fun and exciting. After the dinner, we all gathered together for those people they had asked to perform some songs. Kathi and I started it off with a Spanish song called "Compromiso". Many others sang songs including Tim and Aqdas, and then Gigi and Anis put on the rings. And the whole things finished about 8 oclock. I was so , so tired by the end of it. It had been a crazy couple of days, but quite rewarding. Kathi and I stayed around for a bit to help clean up but then caught a ride back home. I quickly found my bed when I got home and went to sleep soon after.
It was an intense weekend to be sure. But thank goodness the next wedding isn't until early October. I'll try to get a hold of some pictures soon. Ciao! Oh, and I also hope you all have been keeping up with the 2007 Rugby World Cup! Go All Blacks!
("the boys" - old school style)
1 comment:
I feel like someone is always getting married in Haifa. My goodness! Do they meet their on service or do they know eachother prior to being there? Anyway, sounds like fun!
Post a Comment