Thursday, August 09, 2007

they say a cluttered desk means a cluttered mind. well, i say, an empty desk means....an...empty mind?

I’m sorry I’ve been away for so long. This is only my second day back from the Czech republic; a reality that is very hard to realize considering what has happened since I’ve come back. It has been very eventful, all of which isgood (extremely excellent at some points), so don’t worry – I’ve been busy, but in the wonderful way.


On the 2nd of August I left my flat in the early morning to catch a train with Amelia at around 3am. I got to the airport with some time to spare, for my flight was a little delayed - it was now set to leave around 8ish, as opposed to 7. My flight over was uneventful. I was crammed into a seat and promptly went to sleep…waking up several times to find trails of saliva sneaking down my chin. I was much too tired to care if others saw me, and so I wiped it off and carried on with my sleeping. I got in to Prague to find it as beautiful as ever. Blue skies and a cool temperature greeted me as I walked out of the airport to go catch the bus. I stepped up to the platform with the bus just pulling up. I stood there momentarily weighing the balance of the world in my mind. I was exhausted, had a heavy suitcase (made heavier by how tired I was), and just wanted to get to Townshend. I had first thought that I would take the bus, metro, train, then taxi to the school. Now, that all seemed completely unnecessary. So with the bus filling up with people, I promptly turned around and grabbed the first taxi I saw. It was a nice smooth ride, and I quickly went to sleep again.


The weekend was fantastic. Everything was green and Hluboka was as quaint as ever. It even rained one of the days I was there. I hadn’t seen rain in months. My talks went well, and I got to spend so much time with Elham and Professor, Brian too of course. It was a very nice break, though not completely restful. They kept me quite busy. I did get a bit of food poisoning one day, and consequently my talk was pushed back a day - but I think I needed the rest too. I hadn’t spent the day in bed in such a long time. It was nice to walk around the school and relive memories because it was a totally different experience being back there and not being a “student” – though, of course, I continually learn from Professor. They also had another guest speaker there who was simply brilliant. To try to talk about him would take much too long. I’ll devote a post soon to what I learned from him. But being back there, I had a feeling that it was a bit like closing that chapter of my life. Not that I’m not continually going to be involved in someway of the development of the Programme – but this trip served as a sealant in my mind that it had to change. Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures. I’ll try to get some from Brian soon.


The plane ride back was extremely uncomfortable. I did my best again squashed between people, most of whom unfortunately did not emit the most pleasant of odors. I had fun looking at the Pablo Neruda look-a-like sitting in front of me. At times I drifted into reciting some of his poetry; "sucede que me canso de ser hombre" which was very appropriate given how uncomfortable I was. I did try to sleep, but a noisome environment is not the most conducive to such an activity. I arrived back in Haifa from the train and went home. I planned to make it in to work – I didn’t actually make it in until around 2. I had to wear my glasses all day, and I’m still wearing them. My eyes are so tired. Later that evening I was offered a ride in a car to Bahji. I hadn’t been in a couple of weeks, and felt I needed it. Gosh, I think I slept on that ride too. Bahji was beautiful as ever, and the night was so pleasant. Later we all went to this Arab restaurant, and we were stared at for about an hour…well, I was at least – the only “white” boy in the place. Then we went back to Haifa and I just sort of laid around with some friends just talking or in silence, enjoying each others company.


Yesterday was difficult to function though. I somehow made it through to meet up with Lucia and Amelia later on to attend a brilliant talk by Steven Phelps on “the new atheists”. Extremely engaging talk given by a truly humble and knowledgeable man. I’ll post my thoughts on it soon as well. And then I slept quite soundly that night.


So I’m back at work now, slowly chipping away at the pile of work that accumulated in my absence, but again, I’m happy to be busy. Today is a good day, and I think it’ll only get better. I love my family here (Brian will be here soon), I have wonderful friends, and I feel productive and useful. I just have to get over the smell of this place, and I’ll be perfect.


Quote of the week:

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age in which ye live in, and centre your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.”


Some cool pictures:

1 comment:

Kat Eghdamian said...

yes! it was bloody marvelous!

glad you're back gdawg!